On this week’s Extended Edition of The Voicemail, James and Stefan discuss:
- Facebook launched Messenger Lite for emerging markets
- Facebook launches Events, iOS only, US only
- Facebook also launches Workplace (finally)
- Microsoft’s wearable is dead
- Huawei fired its US team responsible for Honor, company doing terribly in America
- Xiaomi launched something in the US … an Android TV box for $69
- The Google Event:
- Hands-on with the new phones
- Video from MKBHD
- Android 7.1 features
- The new $69 Chromecast Ultra (4K with HDR)
- Straight from Google: The Nexus is dead
- Google’s VR headset is $79
- Google’s new WiFi router is $129 or $299 for a three pack
- Google Home will cost $129 and come with half a year of YouTube Red
- Remember that Lenovo Phab 2 Project Tango phone? Now coming November.
- Another Note 7 exploded (on a plane no less), and this one was one of the fixed phones
- WSJ claims Samsung is temporarily ceasing production of the Note 7
- Update: Samsung kills the Note 7
- Update: Samsung says killing the Note 7 will cost them $3.1 billion
- Remember the company Apple bought to turn into Siri, and then those people left Apple to start another company called Viv? Samsung just bought them, no price mentioned.
- Oculus announced a bunch of shit I don’t care about, but they did say they’re working on a standalone headset, meaning it doesn’t need a PC or your smartphone.
- Here is the prototype
- Pretty Cool: Oculus buys Irish company who invented advanced LCD tech
- Interview with CEO of Instagram. I didn’t read it. But it has a cool stat: 100 million people are already using the Snapchat clone feature, Stories, every single day.
- Snapchat is going to demote publisher content, turn off auto-play
- Update: IT’S FIXED
- Even The Economist is making content for Snapchat
- Microsoft event on October 26th, some dumb PC
- Amazon launches music service, $10 for everyone, $8 for Prime members, $4 for Echo
- Looks like no one is going to buy Twitter after all
- Some HTC phone no one will buy leaked, big deal is no headphone jack
- Sony is going to pull a Nintendo and bring their games to Android/iOS
- Google is going to change how it indexes the web. Will create a separate index that will only index mobile sites. Eventual goal is to make this mobile-index the primary index.
Note: You can subscribe via RSS or iTunes.
3 thoughts on “Episode 181”
[…] If you’ve never heard it before, why not try now? […]
Re: note 7… Yes. Had the original. Had the replacement. There will be nothing better this year, though maybe the pixel xl might come close. Probably getting one Friday. On Verizon. With a whole 3 verizon apps, all of which are uninstallible, though the my Verizon one is useful for account holders. And they’ve said the updates won’t be delayed.
[…] I’m sharing occasional words and photos using the #madebygoogle hashtag – I also said a lot about my decision to purchase this phone the way I have on last week’s episode of The Voicemail podcast. Had some great feedback about that episode too so, y’know, if you haven’t listened before. Why not try now? […]